Thursday, October 15, 2009

Congratulations Liz & Devon King!!

Liz and Devon got married over the Thanksgiving weekend. John's sister has been planning her wedding for the past 18 months, and asked me to help her along the way. We met a few times for a few hours in the months leading up to her big day, and I acted as their Wedding Planner on the wedding day.

Liz and Devon got married at Town Hall in Ancaster, and took an old fashioned fire truck (cause Devon is a firefighter) down to the reception at The Art Gallery of Hamilton. It was an awesome sight - and a great photo opportunity for guests! The wedding was a cocktail reception with approximately 165 guests.

Given the fact that they had an 18 person bridal party...>gasp<...I know, that's a lot.. the day went well with very little issues. With such a large Wedding Party (WP), it was quite the task to keep them all focused, doing their duties (ushering guests most specifically) and keeping them out of the ceremony hall before it started!

Once we all got to the Art Gallery, again it was hard keeping track of where all of them (WP) where, and were going - outside for a smoke, to grab a drink, to talk with family/friends...it got a little frustrating chasing them around to prepare for their 'Grand Entrance' - but in the end, everything went well and was beautiful.

Liz looked fabulous, and I've got to say, was quite the calm bride. She was always smiling, and just wanted to make sure everyone was having a good time - and they were!

Her colours were ivory, purple and yellow - so both venues (ceremony & reception) had sunflowers, gourds and mini pumpkins placed throughout for the 'fall' theme.

This was my first Cocktail Reception wedding, and it's a good concept - very relaxed - but I do stress that you must have enough food on hand. Guests could choose from appetizer sized items that consisted of cheeses, breads, cold meats, antipasto, pasta and veggie/meat skewers. I noticed that many guests went up to the food table more than once, more than twice - sometimes 3 or 4 times!!  They even ran out of coconut shrimp within the first 20 minutes... they must have been a favourite! Thankfully Liz & Devon were saved some to enjoy later by the Catering Manager.

 The bar was open right from the get go, and the dance floor was always hopping.

Once the speeches were taken care of, I tried my best to be there as a guest and enjoy the wedding with my family, but my Planner instincts kept clicking in. I made sure that the bouquet toss, garter retrieval and the cake cutting were all done on time. Devon even said to me - "oh, thanks for reminding us, we would have forgotten!" And that happens - Brides and Grooms sometimes will forget to follow timelines because they are enjoying themselves so much and having fun. Just another excellent reason to have a Wedding Planner.

 
Congratulations Liz & Devon...you had a beautiful wedding filled with love, laughter, family & friends!
All the best!!

BB Tip # 4:  Only ask close friends and family to be in your WP. More than 3 or 4 on each side will most likely be unmanageable. Remember, just because you have more hands does not necessarily mean you will get more help.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The new Liz King here!
I just wanted to add how helpful it was having Diane there. She was excellent for helping keep us on track especially with all my extra not always helping but always willing hands (I do love each and every one of them dearly)and, for leading up to the BIG DAY!

I don't know what I would have done without our little meetings...

LADIES!!
Let me tell you I am a checklist girl!

I bought books, they were helpful... However, a checklist doesn't give you feed back. Also, they only get you so far and don't help you troubleshoot when things get rocky.

On the bright side, when I needed a light at the end of the tunnel Diane was there for everything big or small it didn't matter. Especially when I received a blank stare from my amazing groom. Somethings just need a ladies touch, and a ladies ear!

So on that note I may not be a Butler anymore but with the spectacular job this butler does she will be very busy serving all of you on what I am sure will be the day of your dreams!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

The Bride's Butler

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...